giving voice chorus
GIVING VOICE CHORUS is a community choir designed for those with dementia and their care partners. Led by specially trained music professionals, the chorus rehearses weekly at Capp Center in St. Paul. Singers sing familiar and new music with adaptive methods and structured direction. Dementia-capable volunteers are available to assist. Giving Voice rehearsals provide a supportive environment that builds community. Persons with dementia and their care partners can experience joy, love, understanding and meaning through music.
Benefits of Choral Singing
Did you know that people with dementia CAN learn new music, CAN make new friends, and CAN experience joy and community?
- Singing is aerobic
- Improves posture
- Helps to improve sleep
- Stimulates brain activity and cognitive function
- Choral singing is a social activity
- Improves mood
- Lowers stress
- Shared achievement through performances
- No singing experience required
- Music director understands singers’ potential
- Comfortable rehearsal spaces with excellent acoustics
- Variety of music, familiar and challenging, adapted as needed
- Personalized music books and practice CDs
- Weekly rehearsals and a public performance at the Capp Center St. Paul
- Dementia-aware volunteers available to assist
“Help!” We want to you to join us this fall as we sing songs about friendship and share our “True Colors” to celebrate our friendship theme: “Together, Wherever We Go.”
You “Count on Me,” and “I’ll Be There for You,” because “You’re My Best Friend!” Sign up for this unique opportunity to “Make New Friends but Keep the Old.”
Rehearsals: Tuesdays | 1 – 2:15 PM | Sept 6 – Dec 13
Giving Voice Chorus?
GIVING VOICE CHORUS, brings together people with dementia and Alzheimer’s and their care partners to sing in choruses that foster joy, well-being, purpose and community understanding. GIVING VOICE CHORUS transforms lives through music, by building choral music communities worldwide that celebrate the potential of people living with dementia.
Singers of all abilities will create and learn in weekly rehearsals at the Capp Center St. Paul with a specially trained professional choral conductor, assisted by volunteers who have training in dementia. Rehearsals culminate in a public performance that showcases the accomplishments of the singers.
We are committed to keeping our singers and volunteers safe during our rehearsals and concerts. The Giving Voice Chorus at Minnesota JCC follows the COVID safety protocols outlined by Giving Voice Initiative which include:
- All in person singers and volunteers must be vaccinated
- Masks will be required during rehearsals and in common areas
- Singers will be seated 6 feet apart in their duets (singers and care-partners)