giving voice chorus
GIVING VOICE CHORUS is a community choir designed for those with dementia and their care partners. Led by specially trained music professionals, the chorus rehearses weekly at Capp Center in St. Paul. Singers sing familiar and new music with adaptive methods and structured direction. Dementia-capable volunteers are available to assist. Giving Voice rehearsals provide a supportive environment that builds community. Persons with dementia and their care partners can experience joy, love, understanding and meaning through music.
Benefits of Choral Singing
Did you know that people with dementia CAN learn new music, CAN make new friends, and CAN experience joy and community?
- Singing is aerobic
- Improves posture
- Helps to improve sleep
- Stimulates brain activity and cognitive function
- Choral singing is a social activity
- Improves mood
- Lowers stress
- Shared achievement through performances
- No singing experience required
- Music director understands singers’ potential
- Comfortable rehearsal spaces with excellent acoustics
- Variety of music, familiar and challenging, adapted as needed
- Personalized music books and practice CDs
- Weekly rehearsals and a public performance at the Capp Center St. Paul
- Dementia-aware volunteers available to assist
Join us as we sing a variety of songs that originate from WOMEN songwriters and/or lyricists! Selections include songs such as “It Takes Two Baby”, “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”, “Chapel of Love” and a variety of other favorites. Our choral arrangements will have parts for everyone (not just women!) to give voice to the work of these talented women of song.
Giving Voice Chorus® – Celebrating Women Composers
Tuesdays at 1:00 pm- 2:15 pm, September 12 – December 12
(No rehearsal the week of Thanksgiving)
Capp Center St. Paul
$75 per person
Concert will take place on Sunday, December 10 at 1:00 pm
Giving Voice Chorus?
GIVING VOICE CHORUS, brings together people with dementia and Alzheimer’s and their care partners to sing in choruses that foster joy, well-being, purpose and community understanding. GIVING VOICE CHORUS transforms lives through music, by building choral music communities worldwide that celebrate the potential of people living with dementia.
Singers of all abilities will create and learn in weekly rehearsals at the Capp Center St. Paul with a specially trained professional choral conductor, assisted by volunteers who have training in dementia. Rehearsals culminate in a public performance that showcases the accomplishments of the singers.
We are committed to keeping our singers and volunteers safe during our rehearsals and concerts. The Giving Voice Chorus at Minnesota JCC follows the COVID safety protocols outlined by Giving Voice Initiative which include:
- All in person singers and volunteers must be vaccinated
- Masks will be required during rehearsals and in common areas
- Singers will be seated 6 feet apart in their duets (singers and care-partners)